One of the things I love about being a photographer is that I spend quite a bit of time getting to know my clients. I get to photograph many of my clients through multiple stages of life, as their family grows and they reach new personal and professional milestones. I thought it might be fun to share some of the things you might not learn about me during the course of our work together!
15 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Your Photographer, Mary Maletzke!
- In addition to being a photographer, I’m also a mentor and teacher. I love educating others about photography and how to earn a true living from their passion.
- Community has always been important to me. I volunteer on the committee for Upper Kittitas County Dollars For Scholars. It’s an organization that provides scholarships to local students and very near to my heart.
- My husband is a wildlife biologist. On one of our first dates, we went bear trapping (to place GPS tracking collars on bears) and I had to take a rectal temperature of a bear!
- I’ve traveled extensively throughout my life and it’s one of my passions. I’ve been to every state except Alaska. I’ve also traveled to the Caribbean, England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Greece.
- I stop at the Cle Elum Bakery every single morning on my way to the photography studio for a cup of coffee. Sometimes they even have it ready before I walk in the door.
- I love country music, but I also love rap. I think I need a t-shirt that says, “Fueled by coffee and 90’s rap”.
- My previous career was in social services!
- I love antiques of all kinds and have 7 sets of antique china. All of which has been passed down from my family. Between my collection of china and collection of photographs dating back to the 1800’s I have very rich visual history of my family.
- I’m a total foodie. One of my favorite restaurants is Harvest Vine in Seattle.
- My kids are superstars. My daughter is an incredible volleyball player and a talented guitarist. My son is a Rodeo Saddlebronc Champion.
- My biggest pet peeve is when people cut their food with their fork. That goes for all food, but the worst offender is when people cut meat with a fork.
- I come from a family of doctor and lawyers. I never imagined when I was younger that I would grow up to make a living as a professional photographer.
- I love the outdoors and when I am not too busy working I am an avid hiker and gardener.
- I’m a little bit foul-mouthed. But only in good company and only in the right circumstances.
- I hate the taste of alcohol but I LOVE everything about mocktails – the way they taste, how pretty they are! One of my favorite mixologists is Marnie Rae.
- Bonus: I don’t watch TV!
Want to know a few other fun facts about my journey into photography? Check out my blog post: Meet Your Photographer.